Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Conversion

"The two hemispheres of my mind were in the sharpest contrast. On the one side a many-islanded sea of poetry and myth; on the other a glib and shallow 'rationalism.' Nearly all that I loved I believed to be imaginary; nearly all that I believed to be real I thought grim and meaningless. . . . Hence at this time I could almost have said with Santayana, 'All that is good is imaginary; all that is real is evil.' In one sense nothing less like a 'flight from reality' could be conceived. I was so far from wishful thinking that I hardly thought anything true unless it contradicted my wishes."

C. S. Lewis, on his view of life prior to Christian conversion, in Surprised By Joy, pages 170-171.

He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son. Colossians 1:13